Business promotional methods are definitely in a state of flux. More and more firms are finding that advertising online makes a lot of sense for them. Does this mean that traditional print advertising is no longer relevant? The answer is a resounding “no”.
Whether your company is a large firm with many employees or a one person operation, when it comes to getting the word out, using a mixture of printed materials will most often give you the best results.
They can be used in a variety of innovative ways that let people know about your firm and what you have to offer.
1. Flyers – Flyers are a form of print advertising that is easy to distribute and can reach a lot of people very quickly. You’ll be able to include a maximum amount of information in a format that is attractive and easy to read. You can even have them printed on both sides, which gives you extra space to describe your enterprise and just what you can do for your customers.
2. Postcards – While many people associate these with a way to send a quick note while on vacation, when it comes to business they can do so much more. They are a simple way to let your target audience know about your brand and what special offers you may have.
3. Printed stationery – In an age of firing off quick emails, this is a promotional item that is all too often overlooked. This is unfortunate, as sending a typed or even a hand written note of thanks or other business letter can really make an impact. With your logo and contact information printed on the top of a high quality paper document, your letter is sure to impress.
4. Business cards – These most ubiquitous of promotional items are something that the owner of every firm needs to have on hand. These cards are often scanned and saved, so they need to be printed with a clear text. It’s also a good idea to have a digital business card made up that can be displayed on a smartphone or tablet computer. These are easy to send and share, and can even be stored on a phone contact list.
5. Banners, posters and other signage – An easy and fun way to promote your company to a wide audience is to sponsor a fund raising event for a non-profit organization. These forms of advertising are ideal for this type of situation. A large banner or poster lets everyone know just who you are and that you care about making your community a great place to live. This will make them happy to patronize your business.
Whatever forms of print media you decide to use, there are some very important things to keep in mind.
1. Don’t use a cluttered design. Choose the elements carefully and make sure that any photos or graphics you use are clear. It’s best not to use images that you have copied off the internet, as they tend to look blurred when printed and there are issues with copyrights. Vector graphics are a better choice, as they can easily be scaled to size while still remaining sharp. If you are designing a flyer that is printed on both sides, make sure that each side can stand on its own.
2. Be choosy about the text. Don’t make the mistake of overloading the document with too much information. A few well-chosen words can have much more of an impact, and with a strong call to action you can easily get the results you desire. Gear the message to your target audience and don’t use technical jargon, or language the average person will not understand. Don’t forget to include your contact information.
3. Select the right paper or card stock and ink for the job. Don’t try and cut corners or save a bit by using low end materials. Your final product will say a lot about you and your company, and you want to give the impression of professionalism and high quality. Use some well-chosen graphic artwork to bring color to your document and avoid using gaudy colored papers, as these can look tacky and cheap.
4. When deciding which font and typeface to use, it’s best to stick to one or two styles that are clear and easy to read. Colored inks can draw the eye to certain words on your advertisement that you wish to highlight, such as “sale”, “discount”, or “special offer”.
5. Try to include your company logo and colors where possible, as this will help improve brand recognition.
6. Carefully review the proof before it goes for its final printing. Check the colors, make sure there are no typos, and ensure that the contact information is accurate.
7. You should definitely consider hiring a professional print company to help you. Professionals have the equipment and experience needed to create items that you will be proud to have represent your business.
Even in this day, where high technology is part of everyday life, print advertising still has an important role to play. By carefully choosing the mixture of types that’s right for you, you’ll be able to successfully promote your company to the world.